PHOENIX (Nov. 29, 2023) – Spectrum Medical Care Center is recognizing World AIDS Day, Dec. 1 with a one-of-a-kind social media PSA-style video series–Spectrum Medical Care Center Rock the Ribbon–featuring recognized faces from the local community who make a statement about the iconic red ribbon. The video series is a testament to this year’s theme for World AIDS Day, “Let Communities Lead” emphasizing the importance of the on-the-ground work by local groups. World AIDS Day commemorates lives lost to AIDS while emphasizing successes in HIV prevention and intervention with an eye toward ending HIV/AIDS by 2030.
“Ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic in seven years is ambitious but realistic because those of us on this mission remain energized day in and day out,” said Director of Marketing and Community Engagement, Victor E. Avila, Spectrum Medical Care Center. “This issue is important year-round, but World AIDS Day is a critical platform to ignite mass awareness. We thank all of the agencies that answered our call to be a part of our event on Dec. 1 and to the people who recorded inspirational messages for our Rock the Ribbon video project.”
The red ribbon has become a symbol of solidarity and homage for people lost to HIV/AIDS since its onset. It is also a symbol of hope for a future without HIV/AIDS and for people living with the disease. This year Spectrum Medical Care Center assembled a diverse cast of figures to share their reasons for wearing the ribbon in the Spectrum Medical Care Center Rock the Ribbon video series can be viewed on the Spectrum Medical Care Center YouTube Channel, which features:
- Peter Barber, an American bass-baritone and Resident Artist at the Academy of Vocal Arts with the Arizona Opera. He is also a music producer with a popular YouTube Channel @PeterBarber and host of the podcast “Vocal Arts with Peter Barber”
- Kyson Brown, ASU Football Running Back @sundevilfb
- Mike Fornelli, Executive Director, Phoenix Pride
- DJ Gello with HOT 97.5 & 103.9 @gellointhemorning, @hot975hot1039
- Neil Guiliano, former Mayor of Tempe and advocate of LGBTQ+ rights
- Darnell King, Captain of Phoenix Rising FC, winners of the 2023 USL Championship title
- Dr. Thanes Vanig, Founder of Spectrum Medical Care Center and lifelong advocate of LGBTQ+ rights and healthcare services
The World AIDS Day Rock the Ribbon event hosted by Spectrum Medical Care Center will take place Friday, Dec. 1, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. at Kobalt Bar, 3110 N. Central Ave., Suite 175, Phoenix, Ariz. 85012. The Spectrum PrEPmobileclinic, HIV testing and other preventative healthcare services will be available to stoppers by.
About Spectrum Medical
Spectrum Medical Care Center is a leading provider of primary care, preventative care, HIV care, PrEP, PEP and STI testing services, and has been meeting the unique healthcare needs of the LGBTQ+ community in Metro Phoenix since 1997. Spectrum Medical’s growing team of experienced medical professionals and staff proudly serve all patients with state-of-the-art, competent and compassionate care and are deeply committed to healthcare equality in the community.